Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music?







Larry Norman


4/8/1947 - 2/24/2008



A legend died on Sunday. Larry was a pioneer in Christian music. Often called the "Grandfather" of Christian Rock, Larry had a profound influence on many Christian artists over the past 40+ years. I've been enjoying his music since the early '80's.

It is, in a way, Larry's fault that I became a lover of music, especially Christian music. Back in 1970, Larry lead Randy Stonehill to the Lord. Randy, known as one of the 'Fathers' of Christian rock, went on to create some great Christian music. The very first Christian record I ever owned was Randy Stonehill's "The Sky Is Falling" (I still have it, too). Larry produced, sang background vocals and played various instruments on this album . After loving this album and reading the liner notes, seeing Larry's name all over the place, I figured I better check out this Larry guy since he seemed to have a lot of influence on this recording. So I bought one of Larry's tapes and have been a big fan ever since.

I only got to see Larry live once, at Cherry Hills Community church in Denver, Colorado. It was an amazing concert.

His second solo album, Only Visiting This Planet, has been voted the best Christian album of all time by CCM magazine.

Larry was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame in 2001.

The following credit Larry with influencing them in one way or another:


  • Randy Stonehill

  • Steve Camp

  • Mark Heard

  • Toby Mac/dc Talk

  • Frank Black of the Pixies

  • U2

  • Pete Townshend had been inspired by one of Larry's early rock operas to write Tommy*

  • "It’s often said that Bob Dylan was heavily influenced by his music during his “Christian period,” and even attended Larry’s Bible study while on tour."*

  • Too many more to mention.
*These claims I have not been able to confirm, but they are mentioned in multiple websites that I've found.

I think Larry summed up Christian Rock music best in the following words:

Why Should The Devil Have All The Good Music? - Larry Norman

I want the people to know that He saved my soul
But I still like to listen to the radio.
They say rock 'n' roll is wrong, we'll give you one more chance.
I say I feel so good I gotta get up and dance.

I know what's right, I know what's wrong, I don't confuse it.
All I'm really trying to say
Is why should the devil have all the good music?

I feel good every day'
Cause Jesus is the rock and he rolled my blues away.

They say to cut my hair, they're driving me insane,
I grew it out long to make room for my brain.
But sometimes people just don't understand,
What's a good boy doing in a rock 'n' roll band?

There's nothing wrong with playing blues licks,
But if you got a scripture, tell me to my face
Why should the devil have all the good music?

There's nothing wrong with what I play'
Cause Jesus is the rock and he rolled my blues away.

I ain't knocking the hymns,
Just give me a song that has a beat.
I ain't knocking the hymns,
Just give me a song that moves my feet.
I don't like none of those funeral marches
I ain't dead yet!

Jesus told the truth,
Jesus showed the way
There's one more thing I'd like to say.
They nailed him to the cross,
they laid him in the ground,
But they shoulda known you can't keep a good man down.

I feel good every day, I don't wanna lose it.
All I wanna, all I wanna know
Is why should the devil have all the good music?

I've been filled, I feel okay,
Jesus is the rock and he rolled my blues
Jesus is the rock and he rolled my blues
Jesus is the rock and he rolled my blues away.





See ya, Larry. Thanks for everything.

No comments: