Saturday, March 1, 2008

In The Name Of Love...

Wow. This(U2/3D) was a very cool experience.

I was very impressed by the 3D effect and the digital picture. If the sound had been more like a real concert, I think it really would have been better than being at a concert. This movie reminded my why U2 is my favorite band, and confirmed why they are still the biggest band in the world.

I also think that they are a band blessed by God. A lot of people find them controversial because they have been seen smoking and drinking and using foul language, but they seem to forget the amazing things that they have done through things like the One organization and the like. If we are going to judge them based on smoking and drinking and using foul language, then let us be judged in the same measure.

Three of the band members, Bono, Larry and The Edge have proclaimed Christ as their savior since they were young. The 4th, Adam, only within the past few years has claimed to be saved. Who are we to judge their salvation?

If you look at their lyrics, you will see tons of scripture, subtle and not so subtle. Who else has recited Psalms during their halftime show at the Superbowl? Bono quotes scripture often from the stage. My favorite is when he quotes Psalm 116:12-14 (The Message) during the intro to "Where the Streets Have No Name" in Boston:

"What can I give back to God for the blessings he's poured out on me? I'll lift high the cup of salvation—a toast to God! I'll pray in the name of God; I'll complete what I promised God I'd do, and I'll do it together with his people."

Here's an old article that kinda sums it up. There's a lot more to say, but this does a good job of putting it in a nutshell: U2, Christian?

This is cool too: Godtube

“I’d be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge…It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for Grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity…I love the idea of the Sacrificial Lamb…The point of the death of Christ is that Christ took on the sins of the world, so that what we put out did not come back to us [Karma], and that our sinful nature does not reap the obvious death. That’s the point. It should keep us humbled…It’s not our own good works that get us through the gates of Heaven.” [Bono in Conversation, Riverhead Books, 2005, p. 204]

U2/3D

No comments: