Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Being part of a legend... or two...

Boston. Clearly one of the most legendary rock bands of all time. Amazing guitar riffs. Incredible vocals. Some of the best rock 'n roll you'll ever hear.

So why am I writing about Boston? Well, with the unfortunate and untimely death of singer Brad Delp, something interesting has happened. I have known about this for some months, but just haven't sat down and wrote about it till now.

Boston has chosen Michael Sweet to be their vocalist for the 2008 tour. !!!
(They also have some other guy, but he's not relevant to this post. Sorry dude.)

Now, Michael, as you may know, has already had a stellar career with the legendary Christian Metal band Stryper, and a pretty darn good solo career as well. Now the guy gets a chance to be part of Boston history too. How lucky can you get? Michael Sweet is an amazing vocalist. He can scream better than just about anybody. If they come through Alabama, I'll probably try to go. It'll be interesting if they play any of Michael's/Stryper's stuff.

I had a hard time deciding what song to list here, there are so many good ones. I decided to listen to a few and see if any really grabbed me, when, once again, I actually paid attention to the lyrics of one that I had never really paid attention to before. The song Higher Power is dedicated to those who have recovered from substance abuse.

The possible Christian application of this song is so obvious, I'm not even going to talk about it.

Higher Power - Boston


Let me love you
Take me home to your religion for the night
Let me touch you
Teach me how to see your vision through my eyes
Turn the pages
Tell my story, let me face another day
Safe embraces, I feel it comin' now
My captain's on his way.

Hey, my high power
The world is spinnin', but I'm not afraid
Yeah, give me the power
It's the beginnin', the beginnin' of another day.
Yeah

Let me hold you
Take me back into the secrets of my mind
Let me know you
Come and save me Lord
Don't let me cross the line


Hey, my high power
The world is spinnin', but I'm not afraid
Yeah, give me the power
It's the beginnin', the beginnin' of another day.


"God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Thy will,not mine,shall be done. Amen."*


Ooh, let me love you
Ooh, let me love you
Hey, my Higher Power
The world is spinnin', but I'm not afraid
Yea, my Higher Power
It's the beginning of another day.


Hey, my Higher Power
The world is spinnin', but I'm not afraid
Yeah, my Higher Power
It's the beginnin' of another day.


Hey, my high power
Hey, my high power
Hey, my high power

*The Serenity Prayer is not included in some edits of the song.

No comments: