Friday, September 19, 2008

Music Builds

Went to the Music Builds tour last night with the boys.

Red
Jars of Clay
RR & TFB - Robert Randolph and the Family Band (WHO??)
Switchfoot
Third Day

In that order. They apparently had Red perform before the actual start time, so we missed it. They ended their set as we were walking in. So I have no comment on them.

Jars of Clay, as always, was fabulous. These guys are just amazing. They did some of my favorites, like Love Song For A Saviour, and also some new stuff from their upcoming new CD. They simply rocked.

Now wait a sec. They put a major band like Jars of Clay before an unknown group like RR & TFB?? What the heck are they thinking?

RR & TFB was interesting. It was kind of a jazzy-fusion sound. But the thing is, it all sounded the same. To me, it sounded like a single 30-minute song.  The music was basically the same, and all they sang was "Good time, good time, we're having a good time" or something like that. Now, the music was definately catchy and quality for it's style, but it's not my style.

Then came Switchfoot. They have definately gotten better since I first saw them several years ago. They have a really top-notch performance. They did a bunch of the classics, like Meant to Live and Dare You To Move, as well as stuff off of their newer albums. It was really a great set.

Then came Third Day. They lead their set with Rich Mullins' Creed. Wow. I think even Rich would have been impressed. They sang Rockstar. I'm sure they sang other songs too, but at this point both the boys were complaining about wanting to go home and being tired, and I got tired of hearing it so we left. I'm sure it was a great concert. Probably more like a worship service with songs like God Of Wonders. I wonder.

No comments: