Thursday, July 8, 2010

Two Legends Merge, and the Newsboys are Born Again....

A few years ago (Wow, it's been 13 years!) when John James left the Newsboys, I was distressed. I had finally found a Christian band that I loved and that sounded as good as a lot of the secular 'alternative' bands that were around in the early to mid '90's. I was afraid that they'd either break up altogether, or their new music would suck. I was pleasantly surprised that Peter Furler took the lead mic and the Newsboys continued on stronger than ever and have become one of the most popular Christian bands of the pst 25 years (They started in 1985!).

In 1989, DC Talk came on the scene with their self-titled debut. I still have my tape of that recording. I think I listened to it once or twice. It didn't really impress me. Their follow up albums were much better and I listened to them quite a lot. Then Jesus Freak hit and the Christian music world was turned on its head. The first time I heard Jesus Freak I was, well, freaked out! This was the most amazing thing I had ever heard from a Christian band. It truly was groundbreaking. I still listen to Jesus Freak often and it's still fantastic. Imagine my dismay when DC Talk announced their "indefinite hiatus" in 2000.

Since then, the members of DC Talk have had successful solo careers. Michael Tait released several CD's with his band Tait and he also starred in the 'Rock Opera' !Hero, which I really liked and still watch the DVD periodically.

I was shocked when I heard that Peter Furler was leaving the Newsboys, but the shock quickly turned to excitement when I found out that Michael Tait was taking over the lead vocal spot.

I would have to say that the addition of Michael Tait to the Newsboys was a brilliant move and has been a great success. I am eagerly awaiting the release of their first CD since Michael joined.

"Since debuting a few of their new songs earlier this year on the WinterJam Tour, the band has been eager to release their brand new CD Born Again, which hits shelves this coming Tuesday, July 13th. Better yet is that they are going into release week with the No. 1 CHR radio single in the country, "Born Again," a spot they've claimed for an astounding seven weeks!" (Newsboys Facebook)

Born again is a fabulous song and if the rest of the album is anything like it, it is sure to be an instant success. This song truly jams! Check out the video:


Born Again - The Newsboys
I found myself looking into the mirrior
Knew I wasn't who I wanted to be
I was living like the way that I wanted
But my eyes reminded me I'm not free.
Beleived that I saw everything that I know
Says I got to go, tired of going solo
But I'm never gonna go there again.

This is what it is
This is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didnt want to fall
But I don't have to crawl
I met the One with two scarred hands
Giving him the best of everything thats left of
The life inside this man
I've been Born Again

I see you walking like your living in fear
Having trouble even looking at me
Wishin they would give you more than words
Sick of people telling how it should be (how it should be)
Whats your download, where'd you get your info, you saw that I'm show now your in the inload
Gonna tell you what I believe

This is what it is
This is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didnt want to fall
But I don't have to crawl
I met the One with two scarred hands
Giving him the best of everything thats left of
The life inside this man
I've been Born Again

We are the ones they call by name
(I'm never gonna look back)
Let go let go the guilt the shame
(Said I'm never gonna look back)
This is who I am

This is what it is
This is who I am
This is where I finally take my stand
I didnt want to fall
But I don't have to crawl
I met the One with two scarred hands
Giving him the best of everything thats left of
The life inside this man
I've been Born Again

No comments: