Wednesday, September 20, 2017


September 19 is always a bit melancholy for me. September 19, 1997 is the day Rich Mullins was killed in a horrible auto accident. When I heard the news, it was like a sledgehammer slammed into my heart.

I didn't know Rich personally. Never met him. Never saw him live in concert. Never talked on the phone or sent an email. I doubt he even had email. But I heard his songs. I got to know him through his lyrics. The melodies an rhythms of his music. I saw videos of him in interviews and live performances. I've heard people that did know him personally talk about him.

The things he said, and the way he said them reveal so much about him and his relationship with God. For example:

"The thing I most like about the Bible are all the weirdos in it. I think the Bible is just packed with them. This is one of my weirdo heroes that comes from the scriptures." and then he launches into the song 'Elijah'.
or
I remember when I was a kid…people would go around saying “Cheer up man, God loves you!” and I would say “Big deal. God loves everybody. That don’t make me special. That just proves that God ain’t go no taste.” And I don’t think he does -  thank God. Cause God takes the junk of our lives, and He makes the greatest art in the world out of it. And if He was cultured, if He was as civilized as most Christian people wish He was, He would be useless to Christianity. But God is a wild man. And I hope that in the course of your life, you encounter Him. But let me warn you, you’d need to hang on for dear life. Or let go for dear life maybe is better.

Rich was a man who had trouble in his life, as we all do. A strained relationship with his earthly father and other relationship difficulties. But in his lyrics and words, you see something that stands out. An unwavering trust in the Love of God. 

I think Rich fulfilled his desire for leaving a legacy of joy. He said, “I hope that I would leave a legacy of joy. A legacy of real compassion. Because I think there is great joy in real compassion. I don’t think that you can know joy apart from caring deeply about people – caring enough about people that you actually do something.”. I know he's given me joy when I listen to his songs. When I see his smile in pictures or videos. When I hear him talk about God and the amazing love that He has for us ragamuffins.
 





Creed - Rich Mullins

I believe in God the Father
Almighty maker of heaven and maker of earth

And in Jesus Christ his only begotten Son, our Lord

He was conceived by the Holy Spirit
Born of the virgin Mary
Suffered under pontius pilate
He was crucified and dead and buried

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man

I believe that He who suffered was crucified, buried, and dead
He descended into Hell and on the third day, rose again
He ascended into heaven where he sits at God's mighty right hand
I believe that he's returning
To judge the quick and the dead of the sons of men 

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man 

I believe it, I believe it
I believe it
I believe it, I believe it 

I believe in God the Father
Almighty maker of heaven and maker of earth 

And in Jesus Christ his only begotten Son, our lord 

I believe in the Holy Spirit
One holy church
The communion of saints
The forgiveness of sin
I believe in the resurrection
I believe in a life that never ends 

And I believe what I believe is what makes me what I am
I did not make it, no it is making me
I did not make it, no it is making me
I said I did not make it, no it is making me
It is the very truth of God and not the invention of any man

I believe it, I believe
I believe it, I believe
I believe it, I believe it
I believe it, I believe it
I believe it, I believe it
I believe it

No comments: