Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Confession

They say confession is good for the soul, right?

I'm not so sure in this case, but here goes. This may shock you.

I like Abba. Always have. I was introduced to their music in the early '80s and I was hooked right away.

I still have several of their records (yes, from back when vinyl was the main format!)

According to Wikipedia, Abba was active from 1972-1982. This was when Disco was king and swingers swang and sex with everyone else was the thing. The "sexual revolution" was at it's height. This is reflected in much of their lyrics.

A lot of people scoff at Abba. But really if you give their music a serious listen you might find you like some of it. They were pegged as disco, which is true, but they were so diverse in style that there really is something for nearly everyone's tastes.

Their songs are...

Mysterious: The Visitors, Eagle
Serious: Soldiers, Chiquitita, Fernando
Whimsical: King Kong Song, Sitting in the Palmtree, What about Livingstone?, Two For the Price of One 😳
Somber: One of Us, The Winner Takes It All
Sexy (almost all of them)

There was even a "smash hit musical" based on their songs called Mamma Mia! And I've heard there is a sequel coming out sometime next year.

Here's one of my favorites, remember the era when you watch this video...

Eagle - Abba


They came flying from far away
Now I'm under their spell
I love hearing the stories that they tell
They've seen places beyond my land
And they found new horizons
They speak strangely but I understand
And I dream I'm an eagle
And I dream I can spread my wings
Flyin' high, high, like a bird in the sky
I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze
High, high, what a feeling to fly
Over mountains and forests and seas
And to go anywhere that I please
I saw good friends we talked all night
And we fly wing to wing
I have questions and they know everything
There's no limit to what I feel
We climb higher and higher
Am I dreaming or is this all real?
And I dream I'm an eagle
Is it true, I can spread my wings?
Flyin' high, high, like a bird in the sky
I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze
High, high, what a feeling to fly
Over mountains and forests and seas
And to go anywhere that I please
Is it true, I'm an eagle?
Is it true, I can spread my wings?
Flyin' high, high, like a bird in the sky
I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze
High, high, what a feeling to fly
Over mountains and forests and seas
High, high, like a bird in the sky
I'm an eagle that rides on the breeze
High, high, what a feeling to fly
Over mountains and forests and seas
And to go anywhere that I please
Wanna fly like an eagle
Fly, fly
I dream, I'm an eagle
Flyin', fly

No comments: