Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Charlie

Well, I got into a Charlie Peacock mood yesterday, so I've been listening to his stuff on-my-ipod since. The third song that came on today was Personal Revolution. I think this song really speaks to where I've been for a long time. I'm workin' on it. But it's hard.

Personal Revolution - Charlie Peacock
Freedom from the past didn't last through time,
Things don't change, because I pretend they're fine,
Do I flip a switch to give myself a happy life; to be a happy man, in a happy home with a happy wife?

Jesus, if you came to give life abundantly, then how do you respond to all the pretense that you see?
Do I break your heart by all the faking that I do?
There are so many places I haven't let you into.

I'm so tired of all these easy solutions,
I can't stand it; they're nothing but denial,
I think I need a personal revolution,
How can I expect the heart to sing when I don't let the soul ever feel anything?

Some have known the cruel touch from a trusted man,
It's like pain and pleasure walking hand in hand, like a clown in makeup laughing,
You might never read their face, but buried in their soul is a dark and painful place.

The mind must know what the soul can endure, so it locks up tight in the face of what's impure,
The wounded heart must be gently understood if it's ever to reveal the incidents of childhood.

I'm so tired of all these easy solutions,
I can't stand it; they're nothing but denial,
I think I need a personal revolution,
How can I expect the heart to sing when I don't let the soul ever feel anything?

Whatever the pain, today it's just as real,
We don't talk about it, we don't trust, and we don't feel,
Are we so afraid, if our soul was ever known, nobody would love us, we'd be rejected and all alone?

If we continue to pretend, the pain will never end,
To pretend that we are fine is a trick of the mind,
Do I turn my back on God when I speak honestly?
Though I'm quick admit the problem is me - that's right.

I'm so tired of all these easy solutions,
I can't stand it; they're nothing but denial,
I think I need a personal revolution,
How can I expect the heart to sing when I don't let the soul ever feel anything?
When I push the pain down and I hide it away, I'm storing up trouble for another day.

Personal...personal revolution,
I don't want to...do we want to?...don't want to live this way anymore.
Personal...personal revolution,
There's a change... there's a change a-coming... a-coming down the road,
Personal...personal revolution

No comments: