Thursday, June 25, 2009

The King Of Pop....


I've just heard the sad news that Michael Jackson has died.

Despite his legal and financial troubles and alleged inappropriate activities with children, there is no denying that he truly was the King Of Pop.

I can't deny that I loved some of his music. C'mon, who didn't love Thriller, Beat it, Get On The Floor, Billie Jean, Bad, Smooth Criminal, and ABC?? Who hasn't tried to moonwalk? I sucked at it. Michael was truly a musical legend.

'Do You Remember The Time', when you first saw the Thriller video? Ok, it's cheesy now, but back in 1984 it was cool. Very cool.

Thriller won 8 Grammys and remains the top selling album of all time. I can't begin to name the artists that were influenced by Michael. Pretty much everyone that has done anything musically since 1975 would probably mention him.

I haven't told many people this story, but I guess I have to now. Back in 1984 the Jackson's did their Victory Tour. It just so happens that the same night they were at Mile High Stadium in Denver, I was at a Sandi Patty concert at McNichol's Arena, which used to be across the street from Mile High. (No, I don't really care for Sandi's music, but a group of friends asked me to go, and since it was free, I did.) Anyway, after the concert my friends and I were in the parking lot listening to the Jackson's across the street. Well, at the time, Michael was 'famous' for wearing that single white glove. (I can't believe I'm actually admitting this on the internet) I found a single black glove laying in the parking lot, so I put it on and was dancing and moonwalking to the music. (*thoroughly embarrassed now*) It was a fune time.

RIP, Michael, you will be missed. I hope you found the Lord.

No comments: